UTeach CS A requires no additional materials, which makes it flexible and easily accessible for a wide variety of districts, schools, teachers, and students. Recommendations regarding hardware and software are outlined below.
The UTeach CS A curriculum is compatible with a variety of devices and includes extensive programming projects, as well as a number of collaborative, “unplugged” activities.
- Accessible on any device: The UTeach curriculum is hosted online on Codio, a cloud-based platform accessible on any modern browser
- Easy LMS integration: LTI integration streamlines account creation, single sign-on, and grade passthrough to other learning management systems including Blackboard, Canvas, Google Classroom, Moodle, Schoology, and more
- 1:1 computer access and internet access recommended on a daily basis: Students need access to a computer for a minimum of three hours each week, along with daily access to the internet
Codio is FERPA compliant, GDPR compliant, and meets the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Standard at Level AA. Codio provides a built-in dyslexia support feature and supports screen readers for text-based programming languages such as Java and Python. Codio is actively committed to maintaining and continuously improving the accessibility of the Codio experience.
The following recommendations ensure the best user experience for teachers and students when using the UTeach CS curriculum on the Codio platform:
- The following websites need to be accessible and not blocked by the school's IT department:
- Most frequently used sites: *.codio.com, *.codio.io, and uteachcs.github.io (view additional websites)
- The College Board website and AP Classroom website
- Several other websites, which are listed on the last page of the syllabus
- Chrome is the recommended browser for the Codio platform (view details about other browser options)
- Codio can usually run from anywhere in your browser without any special settings. However, some K-12 firewall settings may require special configuration (learn more)
UTeach CSA uses the Java programming language, which is embedded within the Codio platform and available on any modern web browser with no downloads required. Students are able to complete programming assignments on any device that supports a web browser, such as computers (including Chromebooks), tablets, or smartphones (smartphones and iPads are not recommended for optimal viewing).
- Java (text-based coding): This course focuses on programming in Java, which is an object-oriented programming language widely used in industry. Students will complete Java programming assignments through the integrated development environment (IDE) within Codio's platform.
Codio streamlines programming by providing an all-in-one text editor, compiler, and debugger.