Everything you need for high-quality AP Computer Science in one place!
In 2021–22, we moved our College Board–endorsed curriculum and unparalleled teacher support to Codio’s all-in-one learning platform to provide an enhanced experience for teachers and students.
UTeach CS + Codio
We first launched our project-based AP Computer Science curriculum in 2015 and continually refine our curriculum and support each year. One of the biggest upgrades to our program has been the addition of the interactive Codio platform in 2021.
Codio’s platform allows us to provide our comprehensive teacher materials with an interactive student textbook alongside built-in programming environments. This seamless learning experience provides everything teachers and students need in one place:
- Comprehensive lesson plans, teacher guidance, and gradebook
- Interactive online textbook with embedded student assessments
- Integrated development environments (IDE) for Scratch, Python, and Java
With the Codio platform, UTeach CS is now able to offer:
- Dashboards that provide an instant snapshot of class and student progress
- Auto-graded assessments (multiple choice questions, Parsons Problems, fill in the blank questions, coding assignments, AP-style review questions, and AP-style unit exams)
- Gradebook that keeps track of auto-graded assessments, reflection questions, open-ended projects, student progress, and teacher feedback provided as in-line code commenting
- Customization so teachers can modify lesson plans, add their own assignments, and edit course settings to fit their students’ needs
- Easy LMS integration (LTI integration streamlines account creation, single sign-on, and grade passthrough to other learning management systems including Blackboard, Canvas, Google Classroom, Moodle, Schoology, and more.)
Better Performance with Codio
Codio is an evidence-based learning platform for computer science education. The platform was designed with interactive tools specific to computer science, which optimize students' engagement, satisfaction, and performance. Additional tools save teachers time on administrative tasks and provide insights into student learning, allowing for more personalized feedback and intervention.
- Teachers save more than 25% of administrative time
- Teachers grade 75% faster
- Student grade performance improves by over 15%
- Student satisfaction increases by more than 10%
Codio is FERPA compliant, GDPR compliant, and meets the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Standard at Level AA. Codio provides a built-in dyslexia support feature and supports screen readers for text-based programming languages such as Java and Python. Codio is actively committed to maintaining and continuously improving the accessibility of the Codio experience.
Get a Glimpse into UTeach CS + Codio
UTeach CS Principles students access an interactive textbook with embedded assessments, and can resize or collapse the textbook to focus on programming in the built-in IDE for Scratch and Python.
UTeach CS A students master Java concepts through embedded assessments and programming in the built-in text editor, compiler, and debugger.
Assessment and Collaboration Tools
Auto-graded formative and summative assessments are embedded throughout the UTeach CSP and UTeach CSA curriculum, in addition to open-ended questions and projects with suggested solutions provided in "teacher view." UTeach CS assessments include multiple choice questions, reflection questions, Parsons Problems, fill-in-the-blank questions, coding assignments, open-ended projects, AP-style review questions, and AP-style unit exams. Auto-grading provides students with instant feedback and helps teachers grade 75% faster. For example, Parsons Problems ask students to rearrange blocks of scrambled code and offer immediate feedback about problematic lines, which allows students to focus on the purpose and flow of the code without worrying about syntax.
Codio has a variety of academic integrity tools that help educators analyze students' learning behaviors. Starting in 2023–24, UTeach CS end-of-unit exams will include the new Randomized and Parameterized Assessments feature, which provides unique questions to each student. Codio’s Learner Behavior Insights dashboard enables educators to identify and combat plagiarism and academic dishonesty at scale by analyzing student learning behavior within the context of an assignment or exam question. The Code Plagiarism Checker helps educators detect code plagiarism and potential cases of cheating between class members. Another example is the Code Playback feature, shown below, which allows educators to determine areas where students encounter difficulties, grade students’ effort, and highlight potential cases of plagiarism.
Research-based code collaboration tools allow teachers to provide more personalized feedback for their students and boost student outcomes. Pair programming is often used within UTeach CS curriculum, and evidence shows that this instructional strategy leads to greater student satisfaction, enjoyment, and success. In-line code commenting allows teachers to leave helpful comments for students directly next to the relevant code.
Interested in seeing more? Request more information to view sample curriculum
Ready to register? Purchase a license for UTeach CS + Codio today!